Smoked Pulled Pork Recipe (Butt or Shoulder)
- 1 bone in pork butt, 8-10 lbs
- Favorite dry rub seasoning – we like to support local/small business, so we always rotate a few to mix it up
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 C apple juice for spritzing
- BBQ sauce of choice
- 1 half steam pan and foil to cover
Prepare your smoker at a temperature of 275 degrees with a heat deflector. Add foil pan under the grate to catch all those drippings. We recommend adding medium smoke wood chunks or chips for this cook (we like hickory or pecan). Grilling will take around 8 hours depending on the weight; we see around an hour per pound at most.
- Remove all excess fat from the pork butt. Only leave minimal fat on the bottom, although this can be removed after the cook.
- Coat the pork butt in your favorite dry rub seasoning, making sure to get all sides (butcher shops have great house rubs and can do this for you at purchase if you’d like).
- Let the pork butt “sweat” for 15-20 minutes allowing the seasoning fully adhere.
- Place the butt directly on the grate, fat side down.
- Spritz every hour with apple juice. We are looking for a beautiful mahogany color and this will occur just before the butt starts to turn really dark. This should be around the 5 hour mark.
- In the first few hours of the cook, the internal temperature (IT) will rise quickly. Once the IT gets to around the 150°f mark, the butt will stall, and the temp will hover around 150° for hours; the IT may even drop a bit. The pork will sit in a stall if there is moisture in the meat which can evaporate. Do not adjust the temperature of the Egg! Let it be, we promise.
- Around hour 6-7, we recommend wrapping the butt in foil to finish it off. Add butter and brown sugar and seal tightly with foil.
- Continue smoking the butt until it reaches 199-203 degrees internal temperature.
- Remove from grill and allow the butt to rest for 30 – 45 minutes. For this step we like to wrap it in a towel and place in cooler.
- Shred the pork butt with your Grillheads Meat Claws, continually tossing in its own juices. We like to add a little more seasoning of choice after the shred. Enjoy!