Smash Burgers Recipe
Image credit: @guardianofthegrill
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 4 brioche or butter buns
- 8 slices American cheese
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- OMG and Jack of All Rubs
- Heat up your grill of choice to 400 degrees with your flat top grill or cast iron inside (You will need a flat surface to smash on. We recommend cast iron, but you know your preference.)
- Season beef and roll into 6 to 8 equal sized balls (2-2.5 oz each).
- Place meat balls on the grill and smash them down until flat using a heat resistant spatula. We find that two at a time works great!
- Grill until the bottom has a nice, charred crust and flip.
- Add a slice of cheese on top of each patty right after flipping – we’re looking for that cheese to form a nice little crust around your patty on that hot cast iron.
- Cook an additional 1-2 minutes until the other side matches your desired crust.
- Butter up your buns of choice and place them alongside your patties to toast them up.
- Remove burgers and buns.
- Assemble your burger – We like to make it a double and add mustard and ketchup to the bottom bun. Top if off with pickles and onions and you’re ready to enjoy!